Sunday, March 19, 2006

Holy Smokes



During the course of lunch today the Limey family witnessed something remarkable.

Picture the scene - I'm eating a toasted sandwich in the living room watching TV, when suddenly there is an explosion of white feathers from the garden. I assumed that Mulder (pictured previously) had made another spectacular kill from the local Dove / Pigeon population.

At this point Mrs Limey starts saying 'oh my god its a bird of prey'. I interpret this as Mulder has caught a kestrel. Rushing to the window wondering what the hell I'm going to tell the local vet / wildlife inspectors I discover that what we believe to be a peregrine Falcon, in the process of providing its own lunch!

At this point I ought to point out that we Limey's live in a town and peregrine are extraordinarily rare here - especially so in my garden.

I have included pictures of the magnificent bird and its lunch as proof. Any twitchers reading are welcome to confirm / correct our identification.

Apologies for the fact that the pictures are slightly blurred. They are taken at great distance without the benefit of a tripod.

1 comment:

The Writer said...

Hey there,
Is the peregrine similar to what we Americans call a falcon? If so, you might want to keep Mulder indoors (and possibly Little Limey!)